Adventures in Curtsyland!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Grandma

Our Curtsy Grandma passed away last night. My Mom noticed a change in her breathing....she was able to take a hold of her hand and she passed within a matter of minutes...quick & peacefully. Over the last few days, as I have been reflecting over all my memories of my Grandma, I've noticed how many similarities we shared. They say some things skip a generation....now don't get me wrong - I am without a doubt my mother's daughter. But I am also very much my Grandmother's granddaughter. My favorite similarity was our fanciness for all things fancy. She used to wear original Chanel suits and classic ballets, loafers & pumps by Ferragamo. (She didn't, however, enjoying shopping much...."Just not my cup of tea" she would always say.) She took such exquisite care of the pieces she loved....saving the original boxes & stuffing of handbags & shoes. I try to always do the same.....my shoe boxes stacked to the ceiling and my endless purses arranged in their duster bags.....tickles the Captain.
Another....not so fancy...similarity is our aversion to asking people for help. I think my Grandma never liked to ask anything of anyone as she never wanted to be a burden. I, however, think it is usually my strong headed Leo tendencies that leads me to believe I can do everything better myself. Either way....encouraging her to reach out to us helped me learn a thing or two. I'm pretty sure I inherited my dancing feet from my Grandma. We both loved a great musical full of dancing....our feet always twitching while watching wanting to jump up & join in. We also shared some physical similarities that seem almost silly to mention...but they mean the world to me as I know they came from my Grandma. Our petite size 7 feet.....which my Mom has always been quite jealous of....if only all three of us could share shoes!! Also.....our very strong and always long fingernails....weird I know - but every time I have to file them down yet again, I think of her. And Angel perfume.....ohhhhhh!!! Ever since I can remember my Grandma wore Angel by Thierry Mugler. I started wearing it about 8 years ago and haven't been able to leave the house without smelling of it since. It is such a strong & distinctive smell that so many can't wear.....but my Grandma & I could and I will never stop....it is our scent. These little pieces of me I know came from her will always make me smile.

I will forever cherish the memory of her.....M. Joann Zook.....she loved potato chips & crosswords, she never let her tank get under 3/4, she liked her garbage to be "clean", she loved golf - playing it & watching it, she loved Ol' Blue Eyes, she was an absolutely amazing knitter, she was tough to beat at Gin Rummy.....and she loved her family. R.I.P. Grandma Zook.....

xxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home